Joyce and Hrgovic ready to go
When Dillian Whyte pulled out of his heavyweight fight with Joe Joyce last month, a few eyebrows were raised when the quality Filip Hrgovic was drafted in as a late replacement. For all the latest fight odds, visit our sportsbook.
Lots praised the crowd-pleasing 39-year-old Joyce, 16-3 (15 KOs), for accepting such a tough replacement, but many believe that beating Hrgovic, 17-1 (14 KOs), could prove too steep a task at this stage of ’The Juggernaut’s’ career.
“He’s had a lot of hard fights”
As is his way, Joyce has been quiet throughout the build-up to this weekend’s fight at Manchester’s Co-Op Live arena, but at Thursday’s press conference Joyce made it clear that he sees a win over Hrgovic as the ideal way to get himself back into title contention.
The Londoner took the opportunity to remind people that the 32-year-old Croatian may not have as much tread left on his own tyres as some would have you believe.
“He’s had a lot of mileage,” Joyce said. “He’s been in the sport a long time. He’s had a lot of hard fights but I think it’s going to be a great fight.
“It’s good to share the ring with Hrgovic again. We had a good scrap last time, like 12 years ago. The same result is going to happen.
“I’m going to win and then get elevated back up to the top of the sport. I’m really excited to be here again.”
All the way back in 2013, Joyce and Hrgovic boxed in the tough amateur World Series of Boxing competition. Joyce eked out a split decision after five hard rounds and both fighters went on to medal at the 2016 Olympics in Brazil. Hrgovic came home with a bronze medal whilst Joyce was unlucky to settle for silver.
“We’ll see on Saturday”
The two have been competing at the highest level for a long, long time and have accumulated the expected amount of wear and tear. Still, Hrgovic believes that time has been less kind to Joyce.
“Man, if this guy knocks me out….” Hrgovic said, barely able to contain his contempt at such a thought. “He’s slow like fog so I don’t know how he’s going to knock me out.
“So yeah, he’s very slow. I don’t know how he’s gonna knock me out but we’ll see on Saturday.”
Two years ago, a fight between Joyce and Hrgovic would have been a major fight with serious world title implications for both men.
Times have changed and rather than fighting for a world title shot, both men are fighting for their careers on Saturday night. After losing twice to Zhilei Zhang and then being outpointed by Derek Chisora, Joyce knows that another defeat would mean the end of his career.
“Knock him out, that’s the plan”
Hrgovic was touted as a future champion for years but has gone off the boil. He himself struggled past Zhang and was broken down and stopped by Daniel Dubois in his next venture into world class. He needs to show people that he still has the talent – and more importantly – the motivation to reach the very top.
When Whyte injured his finger and was forced to withdraw from the fight with Joyce last month, Hrgovic leapt at the chance to step into the breach and prove his worth.
“Yeah, it was short notice. I had just few weeks, but like I said I was already in a good shape,” he said.
“That’s why I accepted this fight and I think it’s good opportunity for me. This win, hopefully on Saturday, brings me back to the top.
“I’m looking forward to win on Saturday. To knock him out and to get back to the top. That’s the plan.
“Motivation is big for sure. Like I said, I want to come back to the top and like Frank [Warren, the show promoter] said at the beginning, the loser will be in a very bad position.
“So I don’t want to lose for sure. I have a lot of motivation.”
To see all our latest boxing markets, check out 32Red Sport here. If you’re up for a flutter on table games or the slots, be sure to check out our award-winning casino too!
